Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 5 - google trends, insights for search

Basically no one visited today but that isn’t surprising. I have family visiting so I didn’t do much yesterday and did nothing today. I didn’t visit those who commented on my posts. Since I don’t have a readership or reputation yet, backing off promoting your blog will result in a major reduction in visits. My other blog (www.inandoutoftruth.blogspot.com) had 90 visits one day last week and I doubt I’ll break 30 today. It is suffering from the same lack of attention this week.

Let me throw out one tip. Visit Google trends (www.google.com/trends). It will show what search terms are growing in popularity. Google Insights for Search (www.google.com/insights/search/#) is a related site the does something similar. Review what searches are more popular. If you are deciding about a couple of different topics to write about or really are just looking for ideas, write about something that is growing in popularity. That way, you may be able to ride some of the growth in interest. Right now according to Google trends, C. familiaris, Bill Gwatney and Colin Powell are hot trends. In Google insights for search, I am able to focus on just the United States (for example) and a period of time. According to this site myspace, youtube and yahoo are the highest rated search terms. What is really cool about insights for search is that you can focus on categories. One category is online communities. By looking at that category, facebook is the leading search term by a major factor but hi5 is growing incredibly fast. Any of these would be great topics to write a post about and hope that you would be able to earn some of the growing interest.

Tonight, I’m just going to post this blog. Ping my blog and then visit the people who commented yesterday. I really won’t get much of a chance to promote beyond that.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

If I get your analogy right, Design on a Dime suckers do it because they just really don't want to do it themselves?

Kristy said...

Great info! I'll be checking out the Google URL as well as figuring out what pinging your blog means.

I just wanted to let those who have commented on my blogs know that I've changed my 'address' and name. I'm now, "Research by Kristy" at www.researchbykristy.blogspot.com

As far as how much vinegar...I generally do 1/4 of a cup with 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 4 or 5 hard 'shakes' of cayenne pepper.

iMike said...

Hey Congrats on your new blog and I hope you enjoyed my post on my blog haha.

Pretty funny ads I found haha.

I wish you best of luck and growth

-iMike

http://ilikeimike.blogspot.com/

neferiti said...

This was very helpful. I am new to blogging myself and I appreciate all that you offered.

Wei Liang said...

Do look at my blog if you have difficulty to get traffic. Might help in some ways. I also included ways to monetize a blog.


Wei Liang
http://successbiz4all.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

How do I "ping" YOUR blog? I know how to ping mine, but never heard of pinging someone else.

Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com/

L. Venkata Subramaniam said...

this is a great tip....i guess this is one place to know about the latest trends and even get new ideas. But have you done a study on how long these trends last? Are most of them just passing fads?

Anonymous said...

Actually it might not be good idea to use most popular searches, because they are also most competive ones.

It is better to focus on less competed niche and blog about subjects which are closest to your own interest.